At SILFO, we consider the security of our systems a top priority. But no matter how much effort we put into system security, there can still be vulnerabilities present.
If you discover a vulnerability, we would like to know about it so we can take steps to address it as quickly as possible. We would like to ask you to help us better protect our students, employees and our systems. Our policy for responsible disclosure is not an invitation to extensively test our network to find vulnerabilities.
Please do the following:
- E-mail your findings to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible;
- Do not take advantage of the vulnerability or problem you have discovered, for example by downloading more data than necessary to demonstrate the vulnerability or deleting or modifying other people’s data;
- Do not reveal the problem to others until it has been resolved;
- Delete all (confidential) data obtained by exploiting the vulnerability immediately after the vulnerability is remedied;
- Do not use attacks on physical security, social engineering, distributed denial of service, spam or applications of third parties, and
- Do provide sufficient information to reproduce the problem, so we will be able to resolve it as quickly as possible. Usually, the IP address or the URL of the affected system and a description of the vulnerability will be sufficient, but complex vulnerabilities may require further explanation.
What we promise:
- We will respond to your report within 3 business days with our evaluation of the report and an expected resolution date;
- If you have followed the instructions above, we will not take any legal action against you in regard to the report *;
- We will handle your report with strict confidentiality, and not pass on your personal details to third parties without your permission, unless it is necessary to do so to fulfill a legal obligation. It is possible to report under pseudonym;
- We possibly offer you a reward as a token of our gratitude for your assistance, but we are not obliged to do so. The form in which the reward is given and if a reward is given will be determined based on the severity of the leak and the quality of the report.
- We will keep you informed of the progress towards resolving the problem,
In the public information concerning the problem reported, we will give your name as the discoverer of the problem (unless you desire otherwise). We strive to resolve all problems as quickly as possible, and we would like to play an active role in the ultimate publication on the problem after it is resolved.
* There is a possibility that, during your research, you execute actions which are illegal according to criminal law. The fact that SILFO doesn’t take legal action against you doesn’t rule out the possibility that a criminal investigation is held as a result of your actions, or that you are criminally prosecuted.
This text is written by Floor Terra (responsibledisclosure.nl) and is published with a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license. The text is edited by SILFO.